Monday, November 17, 2008

Update

Wow, it's been a while since I've blogged and quite a bit has gone on, but nothing crazy.

A week ago both my kids came down with Strep throat, and I thought I was going to get it too and maybe even made myself feel a little sick... somehow. But, I never did come down with it.

Grace and Faith have really amazed me at their ability to memorize. They've been going to Awana's and they have memory verses that they have to recite and little Faith remembers almost all the verses she's memorized so far. We'll ask her what her verse is and she starts reciting a verse from a few weeks back, and then we'll say, "not that one," and then she'll recite the next weeks, and finally recite the one she needs for this week. Isn't that just amazing. Grace also has a small part in reciting a poem at school and she's got it memorized too. She said the poem to us in kind of a monotonous voice, then I asked her to add some feeling, and without hesitation she began rattling off the poem with feeling and then recited it again in a goofy voice, which reminded me of myself as a kid.

Not only is Grace doing well at memorization, but she's also doing pretty well at reading. It's so exciting to see her progress. She's at the point now where she can read to us at night before she goes to bed, and Faith likes to pretend like she's reading to us.

I love cooking, especially cooking any type of meat, and Jodi and I were watching a cooking show where they made Filet Mignon. I had mentioned I would love to try and make some one day, then the next day while I was at work Jodi bought some for me. I was so excited. After I got off work, I made it up and it was the best meat I had ever had. Ridiculously expensive, but ridiculously awesome.

On Sunday's at Church, I've been taking a class on Greek, where I've been learning a little bit about Greek and trying to understand Biblical Greek. There's so much to understand, but I'm really excited about what I've been learning about the Bible and Translation so far.

I've also been playing Basketball with a couple of guys from my church. The first game, my buddy Andrew and I were a little disappointed due to the amount of time that we were on the bench compared to other players. I guess it wouldn't have felt so bad had everyone on the team subbed off the floor at least once. This week was awesome because we only had 5 guys show up for the game, so I got play the whole game, and although I only scored 4 points, it was 4 more points than I scored last game and people actually passed me the ball this game, so I felt pretty good about it, which gave me the opportunity to make some assists as well.

After I came home from the basketball game, I was hungry. We had a little bit of steak (not filet mignon) left in the fridge and since it was getting late I figured I would have to spread it out a little bit and make dinner for everyone else too. I decided that I'd cut the meat up in pieces and dip them in a tempura batter and fry them up, kind of inspired by the Beijing Beef entrée at Panda Express. I made up a little sweet and sour sauce with pineapples and some rice and it turned out to be a pretty good meal; Grace even had seconds.

No comments: